The program is designed for lovers of nature and genuine contact with local community. During the week of your stay at the tourist farm Pri Andrejevih, located in the bear area, you will become part of their everyday life and learn about various natural phenomena that have shaped the Karst landscape. At the tourist farm Pri Andrejevih, tourists quickly become friends. The family impresses them with tasty, traditional home made food, which is hard to forget.
The program includes all the most important tourist attractions in the surroundings and brings understanding of the life of bears in their natural habitat. Your visit will therefore include a number of elements of a responsible tourist visit with special attention to the protection, preservation and understanding of the natural environment while offering visitors a genuine contact with local traditions. You will take home with you both knowledge and experience, and above all, new friendships.
What do you need: camera, hiking boots, hiking backpack, waterproof sportswear.
Highlights: UNESCO Škocjan Caves, Lipica, traditional home made food, Lake Cerknica with the museum, Rakov Škocjan, Park of Military History Park, Pivka intermittent lakes, Tourist farm Pri Andrejevih, the brown bear.
Bear and/or environmentally friendly practices:
- 10% of profit for each program booked through Discover Dinarics portal goes to environmental NGO, Center for Environment
- Visit of Sedmak who is protecting sheep with the help of livestock guarding dogs
- Beekeeping Šalamun: presentation of beekeeping activities and honey tasting
- Tourist farm Pri Andrejevih: accommodation and food
- Price: We have put together an example itinerary for you so you can get an idea of what to expect on your “Bear friendly holidays on farm”. But the program is not set in stone. Please contact us and we will make you a tailor-made offer.
- Duration: 7 days
- Physical difficulty: low to medium
- Suitable for families with children, couples, individuals, small groups
- The possibility of meeting: bears, wolves, lynxes, forest, meadows and water birds of the Lake Cerknica, butterflies and other insects, jackals
- Season: April to October
- Location: Postojna with surroundings
- Minimum group size: 2
- Maximum group size: 8
Day 1: Meet the Andrej family and the environment in which they live
Day 2: Explore the farm and meet the bear
Day 3: Day of hiking and history
Day 4: UNESCO Škocjan Caves and culinary workshop at the farm Pri Andrejevih
Škocjan Caves is the only Slovenian UNESCO natural heritage site. The caves are also part of the Ramsar list. The latter includes wetlands of international importance, especially as habitats for water birds. Škocjan Caves are listed as the first underground wetland due to the important natural habitat which comprises highly specialized and often endemic species of terrestrial and aquatic cave animals – including the human fish (Proteus anguinus). The visit will certainly not leave you indifferent. Since we are on the way towards the sea, we will continue towards Piran, the idyllic fishing town of the Slovenian coast. In the evening we will return to the farm and test our capabilities in the culinary workshop led by the female part of the family. With their help we will prepare a traditional dinner from home grown ingredients. You will take home with you all the recipe secrets.
Day 5: Free day to relax and explore the rest of Slovenia
• The visit of Ljubljana, Bled and Bohinj
• The visit of the Slovenian coast
• An active day in the Soča Valley
• An active day in Postojna
Day 6: Lake Cerknica with the museum and Rakov Škocjan
Day 7: Departure for home
The “Bear-friendly holidays on the farm” program begins and ends in the small village of Narin near Pivka.
There are 4 international airports within a maximum of 2 hours and a half drive (Ljubljana, Zagreb, Venice, Trieste) from Pivka. We offer organized transfers from all airports. If you are interested please contact us.
The village Narin is located near Pivka, 12 km from the town of Postojna which lies near the highway, halfway between Ljubljana and the Slovenian coast.
- Maximum number of participants: 20
- Before the beginning of the program the guide will provide you with all the important information. Before the beginning of each daily tour the guide will provide you with all the detailed information about the daily program;
- Fourteen days before the arrival you will receive all the detailed information about the implementation of the program.