The Lož valley (Loška dolina) is in the Notranjska region of southern Slovenia, surrounded by the largest concentration of uninhabited forest in Central Europe. This is the ideal living space for many forest animals and just one hour from Green Slovenia’s capital city Ljubljana!
Our experienced guides will take you into the depths of these forests to find and observe the brown bear (Ursus arctos) in his natural environment.
What do you need: hiking boots, hiking backpack, camera
Highlights: bear watching
Bear friendly practices:
• share of 5% for each program booked through Discover Dinarics portal goes to environmental NGO, Dinaricum
• Guided bear watching, following responsible bear watching guidelines
- Price: 100 EUR per person (1 adult), 130 EUR (2 adults), 165 EUR (3 adults)
- Duration: 3-4 hours
- Physical difficulty: low
- Suitable for individuals, couples
- The possibility of meeting: bears, stags, deer, forest birds
- Season: April to October
- Location: Lož
- Minimum group size: 1
- Maximum group size: 3
Brown Bear Watching in his Natural Environment
• Meet up late afternoon at the Bear Watching Centre in the TIC (Tourist Information Centre) in the small town of Lož.
• Here we will give you an introduction about the brown bear, his presence in Slovenia and his impact on the lives of the people of the Lož valley.
• Before setting off we will give you instructions to help you have a safe experience and a successful observation in the forest.
• Our professional guide will drive you deep into the forest about 15 minutes away from Lož.
• After a short forest walk you will climb up to the secret hunting hideout and then, in total silence, you will start listening and tuning in to the sounds of the forest and watching the animals wandering around the forest floor. One of them will be the brown bear!
1 adult … 100 €
2 adults … 130 €
3 adults … 165 €
The price includes all the activities above and your insurance. In the unlikely event no bear appears, you will receive a 50% discount for another observation tour.
- You must book the tour in advance.
- Start time depends on the length of the day and will be agreed upon booking. The experience lasts about 3 – 4 hours, including about 3 hours up in the hunting hide.
- The brown bear watching season is from April to the end of October. Observation takes place from the raised hunting hides (a few metres above the ground), so you can watch safely and take photos. Our experienced guide will be with you throughout your trip.
The program “Brown Bear Watching in his Natural Environment” starts and ends in the town of Lož in the Municipality of Loška Dolina, in the south of Inner Carniola, about 60 km south of Ljubljana. When coming to Loška dolina valley from the north and over the Bloška polica plateau into the medieval Lož, the road leads straight into Stari trg pri Ložu, the administrative center of the municipality.