Imagine to end the day you spent on an epic tour with your mountain bike, in the untouched nature. You await the night in a tent or under the clear sky. This is the essence of backpacking. Thorough escape from civilization, everyday stress and worries.
Bikepacking is primarily an adventure. Cycling along uninhabited areas far away from everything which represent the modern lifestyle. Backpacking is not another type of cycling which demands a purchase of a new dedicated bike. You probably already have a suitable bike. It will only require minor adjustments in order to install the necessary baggage.
The bear trail bikepacking program is further upgrading of the regular bikepacking. We added yet another adventure – wildlife watching in their natural environment. You will cycle through the intact natural environments which are still dominated by wild animals (bears, lynxes, foxes and wolves). We promise that you will encounter more animals than people. The path you will be following using the appropriate GPS tracks and special maps will guide you through the forests… In the evening you will be greeted with traditional food and beverages. You will spend the night in a tent in the heart of the forest and under the open sky. In short, many reasons why this adventure will be unforgettable! Primal!
What do you need: mountain bike, navigation system (e.g. Garmin), camera, sleeping bag, waterproof casual wear, bike bags and a lot of courage.
Highlights: Kočevje Lake, the presence of bears, carnivores and other wildlife, traditional grilled food, camping in the heart of the forest, Glažuta, Castle Snežnik, Snežnik, Mašun, Babno field, the possibility of an organized tour bear watching.
Bear and/or environmentally friendly practices:
- 10% of profit for each program booked through Discover Dinarics portal goes to environmental NGO, Center for Environment
- Cycling is the only way of moving in the program
- Breakfast and dinner made of locally grown food
- Price: We have put together an example itinerary for you so you can get an idea of what to expect on your “Bear bicycle adventure”. But the program is not set in stone. Please contact us and we will make you a tailor-made offer.
- Duration: 3 days
- Physical difficulty: high, 200 km length, total ascent 5200 m
- Suitable for all who are physically well prepared
- The possibility of meeting: bears, wolves, lynxes, owls and other forest birds, stags, etc.
- Season: April to October
- Location: Kočevje. Loški potok, Snežnik, Ilirska Bistrica, the Loška dolina with Babno field
- Minimum group size: 2
- Maximum group size: 8
Day 1 - Meet the bear land
We will start early in the morning in Dolga vas where we will embark on our first ascent. The civilization will be slowly disappearing in the background while we will be entering into the deep wilderness. The path then leads us through the forests along lonely macadam roads through Kočevska Reka to Loški potok where refreshments will be available. From here, the trail gradually starts to ascend towards the scenic Karst plateau Snežnik. After almost 70 kilometres we will stop here and build a camp before the night falls. We will also observe bears in their natural environment. Finally, we will see the carnivores to which this whole adventure is dedicated! After the supply of local ingredients and specialities and local beer, it’s time to cook dinner and go to rest. Before going to bed we will make sure that the food is safely hidden from unwanted night visitors.
Day 2 - Become its admirer
The smell of coffee lures us out of our tents and we are on the road again. We will make a loop through the forests of Snežnik and turn back towards Kočevje. This time we will be cycling along the border with Croatia, through quiet forests, rarely disturbed by people. After more than 60 km of trails, we will set the camp in Loška dolina on the Babno field. We make supplies of food at the local farms and prepare a true feast.
Day 3 – Become its connoisseur
The last day has started. We fold our tents and continue through the thick forests back to civilization – the Kolpa Valley which we do not reach because we turn back toward Kočevje where we end our adventure. Here we will return to the reality of modern life, waiting to embark on the next adventure.
The program “The bear bicycle adventure” starts and ends in the town of Kočevje which is located in the southern part of Slovenia.
There are 3 international airports within a maximum of 2 hours and a half drive (Brnik, Zagreb and Trieste) from Kočevje. We offer organized transfers from all airports. If you are interested please contact us.
Take the highway from Zagreb in the direction of Ljubljana. Leave the highway in Novo Mesto and follow the signs for Kočevje which is located only 50 km away from Novo Mesto. Leave the Ljubljana ring road at the exit for Kočevje which is located 60 km away from Ljubljana.
- Maximum number of participants: 16.
- Before the beginning of the program the guide will provide all the important information you need to know before starting the journey. Before the beginning of each daily tour the guide will provide you with all the detailed information about the daily program;
- Fourteen days before the arrival you will receive all the detailed information about the implementation of the program.
- Organized photo hunting and observation from the hunting observatory: 100 EUR (additional organisation of bear watching before and after the program)
- Participation in the collection of samples wolf excrements
- Additional activities before and after the program: hiking and cycling tours, rafting, guided tours through Slovenia, etc.
- Rent a bike and other necessary cycling equipment
- Additional reservation of accommodation